Saturday 10 January 2009

Ceriagrion cerinorubellum

Zygoptera

Species Name: Ceriagrion cerinorubellum

Family: Coenagrionidae

Compared to the species in my previous post Ceriagrion cerinorubellum is widespread in tropical Asia but is no less beautiful, with its bluish green head and orange base and tip of the abdomen it is quite distinctive and cannot be mistaken for other species. The female is similarly coloured but darker. In India it is commonly known as the Orange-tailed Marsh Dart.


I have frequently found it in drains, ponds, and open swamps and sometimes in gardens near town. 

4 comments:

spookydragonfly said...

So colorful, your damsel! Next spring I'm going to try to seek out more of the damselflies. I would love to see such varied colors in mine. Beautiful capture!

Amila Salgado said...

Good one. It looks identical to the ones that I get in my yard - where it is a permanent resident!

Tekkaus said...

Gorgeous! I love dragonflies too. Anyway Happy Chinese New Year! =)

Ramjee said...

Youy may want to take a look at the two photos of the same sps shot in Kerala http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2894267&l=e72f4644e3&id=619001858
&
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2894266&l=05d7dd566e&id=619001858