Sunday 30 December 2007

Neurothemis terminata

Anisoptera
Species Name: Neurothemis terminata
Family: Libellulidae


This is one of the common red-winged dragonflies that one sees often in drains, small ditches and ponds. There are several species of Neurothemis whose males typically have dark red pigmented wings with some clear (hyaline) areas, usually at the tips. The females however usually have clear wings with some darker markings. The common species are quite similar in appearance and are difficult to identify in the field.

N. terminata is common on Borneo, most of Indonesia, the Philippines and less so in Peninsular Malaysia.

6 comments:

Li Jayne said...

Hi!!
I hope you will keep this blog going..
It's really interesting and fascinating...
Actually,I'm from K.L and I still got the chance to play with dragonflies as a kid..
Although I live really near the city!!
It's too bad that I don't see them anymore since I'm studying in Singapore now =(
I haven't seen any in Sg for four years!!
Well,just wanna say Keep Up the Good Work!!
I'm currently doing a project on dragonflies (that's how I found your blog..hehe)
So your blog helped me a lot!!
Thanks!!!! =)

Dragonchaser said...

Thanks for your kind comments li jayne. I'll sure continue to keep chasing these critters :)

Unknown said...

Hi. My name is Jenny and I live in Minnesota, USA. I am doing a report on the Neurothemis terminata. I am trying to find information on what they eat and how they fit into the food chain. Do you have any of this information or know where I can get this information. Thank you for your help!

(My teacher's name comes up and she is helping me with the blog.)

Dragonchaser said...

Hi Jenny,
Neurothemis terminata, like all other dragonflies eats insects that are smaller than itself, like mosquitoes, flies, moths and other small, usually flying, insects. I dont have your email address and your teacher's (Betsy's) profile/blog couldn't be accessed from here so I cant give you more details. However just by googling "Neurothemis terminata" I am sure you would be able to get more information.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your help. I am wondering if you know who its predators are. Also, how does it protect itself?
Jenny

കോട്ടയം said...

Thazhatangadi